City Gets Out to Early Lead and then Crumbles in Second Half

Jump Start

The game started with a bang when City's Jeremy Klepal broke down the defense and slammed a rocket from the left side of the court into the upper right corner of the goal in the first 2 minutes of the game. Energy filled the fieldhouse and City was looking to be the favorite in this game. 7 minutes later a defensive breakdown led to a Sporting Maryland goal by Ryan Russell. Russell cut inside and slotted one home for Maryland. City struggled to get into a rhythm offensively against the high pressing defense of the Sporting Maryland team and gave up a second goal when an errant pass fell into Sporting's lap and Jonny Orlando banged in from close distance. 

Down 2-1 

Now City found themselves down 2-1 with 10 minutes to go in the half and the possession was all Sporting. City continued to struggled gaining any sort of offensive flow against the high pressing Sporting defense. The momentum seemed to be going against City.  With 8 minutes to go in the half down 2-1, City's Jeremy Klepal took on a player from the right hand side of the court and cut inside smashing the ball into the back of the net bringing City level again! Momentum seemed to swing City's way but after another defensive mistake two minutes later, City gave up a goal and went into half down 3-2. 

horrendous 2nd half start

The first 10 minutes of the second half were something of a nightmare for City. 5 seconds into the half City gave up the ball in the back and Sporting capitalized and went up 4-2. Two minutes later another defensive mistake made the score 5-2 and then 6-2 and then 7-2. The goals seemed to come out of nowhere as City seemed to just crumble under the pressure. 

It was a crushing blow to have those early second half goals happen like that, especially after going up early in the game. We were just unfocused and inattentive to detail. - City player Jeremy Klepal


With the score 7-2 coach Derby called a timeout to try to settle the squad and get things going in the right direction. With ten minutes left in the half, City came out of the timeout with an urgency to score. City's William Guerrero finished one on the back post off a brilliant ball by Aldony Mendez, and then Dylan Lack smashed one in the top right corner from the right side of the court off of a dribble and dish by Jeremy Klepal. Sporting's Jonny Orlando responded with 3 minutes to go in the game with a goal of his own off of a counter attack to make the score 8-4. In the closing minutes, City's Jeremy Klepal took a player on and slotted it back post to Dylan Lack who directed in at the back past to make the score 8-5. The final minute of the game saw City come up with a couple great chances to score but were held off by a tough Sporting defense. The game would end in Sporting's favor 8-5. 

Frustrating Finish; now on to the next one

The loss hurts City's chances at making the playoffs, they are down but not out! City returns to play Connecticut SG at home again on Friday, June 15th at 7:30 P.M. The game is a make or break it game for City. A must win match against an opponent City has never played before. Let the drama commence.